Inhuman Traffic resource
A resource exploring slavery, past and present.
A cross-curricular resource
- exploring slavery, past and present
- linked to the SEAL Primary National Strategy "Say No to Bullying" theme
- suitable for pupils in years 5 and 6
The resource contains:
- A Scheme of Work for a cross-curricular, "creative curriculum" project.
- Details of a theatrical performance entitled "Master and Slave". This is closely linked to the "Inhuman Traffic" exhibition and web resources.
- "Inhuman Traffic" virtual exhibition: a presentation exploring slavery, both past and present, including the involvement of people in Gloucestershire. Featuring the work and papers of abolitionist Granville Sharp (1735-1813) and documents from the Codrington collection (all held at Gloucestershire Archives).
- Sound track of an African Slave Song in the Granville Sharp papers. Performed by a local black gospel choir from Christ Faith Tabernacle, this song is also a backing track to the virtual exhibition. Note: A copy of the original African Slave Song document and the music score of a recent arrangement of this song by Philip Colls, lay clerk at Gloucester Cathedral, are included in the resource.
- Video clips of an actor playing Granville Sharp reading extracts from some of his documents. Note: transcripts of these extracts are included in the resource.
- Various information sheets and copies of original documents from Gloucestershire Archives and Stroud District (Cowle) Museum Service.
- These resources are also available on DVD from Gloucestershire Archives. Please contact us for more information.
This resource has been produced by Gloucestershire Archives in partnership with Stroud District (Cowle) Museum Service, Archway School, Stroud and Spaniel in the Works Theatre Company Ltd.
Download Inhuman Traffic activities overview and lesson plans
Download Inhuman traffic sound track and video clips
Download Inhuman Traffic information sheets and copies of original documents
- Appendix E: A Few Plain Questions to Plain Men Stroud District (Cowle) Museum Service CM 3806/1 [199kb]
- Appendix F: Citizens & Fellow-Countrymen! Stroud District (Cowle) Museum Service CM 3806/2 [1Mb]
- Appendix H(ii): Frontispiece to a speech by Samuel Bowly Stroud District (Cowle) Museum Service CM 3795 [125kb]
- Appendix K: Image of 'Am I Not a Woman and a Sister?' version of the Society for the Abolition of the Slave Trade emblem [72kb]
- Appendix N i: An African Song heard in Barbados transcribed and arranged by Philip Colls [1Mb]
- Appendix N ii: Massa buy me - performance notes [52kb]
- Appendix O: Transcript of Granville Sharp papers [132kb]