WW1 Resources for Key Stage 2
Learn about the effects of the war on your community
Use our FREE downloadable resources which were produced in collaboration with two local primary schools, Slimbridge and Berry Hill, with you class or study group.
Slimbridge Primary is using its blog to share what it's been doing so far - you can find this at http://slimbridge.primaryblogger.co.uk/category/slimbridge-remembers-ww1/.
You might also get ideas from our Help with your research into WW1 and Help with recording and sharing your research findings pages.
Lesson 1 - Letters Home
Main learning objective: to understand how armed forces personnel in wartime communicated with friends and family.
Lesson 2 - Censorship
Lesson 3 - What's the News!
Main learning objective: to create and publish a newspaper, demonstrating how British armed forces communicated news and boosted morale.
Lesson 4 - Fruit and Nuts
Main learning objective: that in WW1 children collected fruit (blackberries) and other nuts for the war effort and to recognise the associated vocabulary.
- 4. Lesson plan: Fruit and Nuts [181kb]
- 4a. Fruit and Nuts problems [127kb]
- 4a. Fruit and Nuts problems ANSWERS [128kb]
- 4b. Design a jam jar label [111kb]
- 4c. Jam [133kb]
- 4d. Blackberry and conker word search [140kb]
- 4d. Blackberry and conker word search ANSWERS [148kb]
- 4e. Blackberry and horse chestnut science [121kb]
Lesson 5 - Zeppelin
Main learning objective: That before aircraft took over the role, airships were used for long-distance travel and in strategic warfare and for the first time and civilians became direct targets in warfare.
- 5 Lesson plan: Guidelines for the use of Zeppelin [195kb]
- 5a Background to air raids on Britain during WW1 [312kb]
- 5b Zeppelin airships [713kb]
- 5c Letter about a Zeppelin raid [554kb]
- 5d Zeppelin Heading [182kb]
- 5e Attack the Zeppelin [152kb]
- 5f Lighter than Air [1Mb]
- 5g Zeppelin wordsearch [129kb]
- 5h Zeppelin poetry [260kb]
- 5i Make a Zeppelin [166kb]
Lesson 6 - The Christmas Truce 1914
Main learning objective: That during WW1 British & German troops on the Western Front took part in an unofficial truce over the Christmas period.
Lesson 7 - What can we learn from our local War memorial
Main learning objective: To learn about our local war memorial
Lesson 8 - Understanding the importance of our local War memorial
Main learning objective: To find out more about the significance of war memorials to the local community
Lesson 9 - What can we find out about WW1
Main learning objective: To use books and the internet to research and write information about WWI
Lesson 10 - What was life like for soldiers in WW1
Main learning objective: To find out about life for soldiers in the trenches
Lesson 11 - Writing a postcard home from the trenches
Main learning objective: Writing a postcard in the role of a WW1 soldier
Lesson 12 - Joining up for War - village heroes
Lesson 13 - Signing up
Lesson 14 - Postcards from the Front
Lesson 15 - Diaries from the Front
Main learning objective: To write a diary extract about life in the trenches
Lesson 16 - Stepping into someone else's shoes
Main learning objective: How did people feel about going to war
Lesson 17 - Recreate a trench in a shoebox
Main learning objective: Design and make a model WW1 trench in a shoebox